Tuesday 27 March 2012

Day 280 : Camel trek


Checked out at 9 and hung around the hotel on the rooftop and also in a cool window seat until we set off by jeep at 2. Met our fellow trekkers the lovely Sue and Nick from Yorkshire (who randomly have good friends in both Stroud and Cowbridge and know the places very well). 

Met our camels and Mr Singh our guide. The camels were friendly enough which is good because it means I could try and cuddle them. The camels were packed up with all our supplies before we got on. Will got the biggest camel and some reins as the guide asked who had experience riding (although I have 20 years experience he obviously didn’t ask me because I’m a women so my camel was attached to the one in front!).
We rode off into the distance (Will often being further in the distance as his camel was very keen so he got relegated to the back of the line).

We went through scrubby land towards a more deserty landscape and after 2 hours (which was plenty as there are no stirrups so not that comfy) arrived at a dune to set up camp. Mr Singh made us some chai and dinner whilst we looked at the dunes and the sunset. There a lots large black beetles (maybe dung beetles) that seem very attracted to us and won’t stop clambering onto us (anything’s better than spiders obviously and they’re quite cute but annoying).

A gorgeous dog came up to us looking thirsty and I talked to him and said I might give him a drink which he somehow understood and he lay down and put his head on my feet! I cut open a plastic bottle and let him drink he was so thirsty. He finally got shoed away by Mr Singh.

After dinner we rolled out our mattress and blanket and looked at the stars – the sky was quite hazy but it was nice to be comfy and look at the stars (only saw 1 shooting start – there seems to be more in the UK I’ve seen than anywhere else we’ve been).

No comments:

Post a Comment